Pets and Pot Don't Mix

Got pot? That means your pet can get it, too. 

According to the April issue of Trends Magazine, Colorado veterinarians are reporting an increase in dogs poisoned by marijuana since the state has legalized it for medical purposes. Because medical marijuana is also legal in California, poisoning from this dangerous substance may be a growing concern.

Dogs will occasionally ingest marijuana baked in food, like cookies and brownies, but severe toxicities due to higher-grade marijuana are becoming more common. It is important to remember that dogs will often eat anything they can get their paws on, including marijuana buds, plants, joints—even baggies.

 


At The Drake Center, our veterinarians see about six cases of marijuana poisoning per year. While most owners are embarrassed to admit that their dog is stoned, it is very important to be upfront about marijuana poisoning with your veterinarian because the signs of toxicity so closely resemble many different neurologic conditions. Please keep in mind that we cannot effectively help your pet if we do not know what we are treating.

If you suspect your dog has ingested marijuana, get to a veterinarian immediately. If vomiting is induced, the level of toxins in the blood may be significantly decreased.  

These dogs, though they may look and act much like inebriated humans after ingestion, are not having fun. They are anxious and neurologically impaired.

Remember, we are not the police and have no interest in pursuing any legal action against you. We just want to save your dog!

Trends Magazine is produced by the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA).

Blog Category: